ACE045 ACE045 Geological and geotechnical site characterisation lp1 HT20 (7.5 hp)
Course is offered by the department of Architecture and Civil Engineering
Contact details and Course Purpose ...
... are sumarised in the pdf version of the Course-PM: 20200820_ACE045_Syllabus_SiteChar.pdf
List all mandatory literature, including descriptions of how to access the texts (e.g. Cremona, Chalmers Library, links).
Also list reference literature, further reading, and other non-mandatory texts.
Lecture schedule and project information are sumarised in the pdf versions of the Course-PM and Project-PM: 20200820_ACE045_Syllabus_SiteChar.pdf
Changes made since the last occasion
Due to covid the exam will be replaced by a final project.
Learning objectives and syllabus
○ Describe the principles of geological genesis with a focus on the Swedish environment
○ Describe the particulars of various geo-materials
○ Describe the principles, benefits and limitations of different site investigation methods and laboratory test types
○ Distinguish between different features of basic geological processes
○ Understand the interdependence of engineering design and design of site characterisation, depending on the composition of the shallow subsurface.
● Application & Analysis
○ Design, execute and interpret of field and laboratory tests for a wide range of geo-materials (soft-soils to crystalline rock mass)
○ Evaluate several techniques used in the desk study phase (geological maps lineage etc).
○ Integrate knowledge on large scale geological and hydrogeological processes, as well as future engineering needs, in the design of a site specific (hydro-)mechanical investigation for engineering properties.
○ Demonstrate insight into the possibilities and limitations of the geological and geotechnical site characterisation techniques, its role in society and the responsibility of the individual for how it is used, including both ethical and economic aspects and also environmental and safety considerations.
○ Demonstrate the ability in speech and writing clearly report and discuss his or her conclusions and the knowledge and arguments on which they are based in dialogue with different audiences within the field of geological, hydrogeological and geotechnical site characterisation techniques.
Link to the syllabus on Studieportalen.
If the course is a joint course (Chalmers and Göteborgs Universitet) you should link to both syllabus (Chalmers and Göteborgs Universitet).
Tutorials (pass/fail) and Project (graded): 20200824_ACE045_Tutorial_and_project_overview.pdf
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of course schedule and basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the 'Edit' link at the top.